why do people hate the Version Youve Never Seen?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    fraroc
    Participant

I personally think that TVYNS was better than 1973 original. Why? I will give you 3 reasons.

1.Spiderwalk-That scene was chilling to say the least. Especially when Chris turned her head and whispered “Sharon..” and we hear the footsteps…… However, I think the scene where she cries when she finds out Burke is dead was a bit long if it was to build up for the spiderwalk. I personally think that after Chris hears “Burke's Dead” She should have collapsed on the floor wailing. And when she looks up….. BAM! Regan is spiderwalking down the stairs. I think the Director wanted it done that way too.

2.Enhanced Sound-The renewed sounds really added to the chill factor. Especially during the crucifix ramming scene where instead of Sqishing noises, it's like a stabbing noise.

3. More Subiminal popups of the Demon's Face. When I saw the face of the Devil appear on the door before Chris opened it, I nearly shat bricks. And I think when she punched the psychologist in the groin, It sounds so cool when the Devil's face appears on her face and she growls!

Many fans think that it was unnescacary. I love both versions, but the TVYNS is a little more thrilling then the original.

Jagged
    Participant

Which are oddly the same 3 reasons the rest of us dislike it.

A lot (not all) of us tend to think all those scenes are either poorly done or just distracting and unnecessary, especially the extra subliminals which are just crudely added, unlike the ones in the original version which were thoroughly planned and expertly utilised.

As for the new sound, why mess with something that was already superb, oscar winning and groundbreaking. Many of the sounds that were worked so hard on in the original were swamped or missing in TVYNS. That's not enhancement, it's butchery.

The spiderwalk was cut for good reason. it looks unconvincing. Had the execution been better I'm sure Friedkin would have found a way to re-work the scene to deal with the “double climax”.

Justin
    Participant

I don't have any problems with the added scenes and actually prefer to have them in the film (although I wouldn't miss the spiderwalk and I think the first medical scene could have had tighter editing).

It's the other 2 things you mentioned that ruin TVYNS for me, along with the desaturated look and purple/blue tint over the film.

The added sound effects and music – especially during the crucifix scene – are awful, distracting, and completely unrealistic. When the crucifix goes between Regan's legs it sounds like the cliche effect in b-grade slasher movies, you know, when the killer pulls out the knife. It's things like that, that take me out of the film.

The added 'subliminals' are just too much, and too silly. I'm glad they removed the 2 Pazuzu flashes in Regan's room on the Blu-ray, although they never bothered to remove the sound effect from it!

fatherbowdern
    Participant

Amen to the cons from Jagged and Justin!

• The Exorcist: TVYNS (This Version Yields Whacky Shit)
    • The Exorcist: EDC (Extra Dumb Crap)

Father Bowdern

Steve Dunlap
    Participant

I, for one, loved TVYNS and EDC….but I am still a fan of the original '73 cut.

I like to A/B the different versions and pick apart the differences myself.  Smile

fraroc
    Participant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8GFxsWF3tE&feature=related

If only the Spiderwalk would have been recut that way, It would have been near perfect.

Steve Dunlap
    Participant

Did you edit that yourself, Fraroc?  If so, nice job. Smile

fatherbowdern
    Participant

Steve, that's the missing scene material from the Fear of God documentary by Mark Kermode. It's been around a long while now. (Silly, “ain't” it?)

Father Bowdern

Steve Dunlap
    Participant

Ahhhhh.

fatherbowdern
    Participant

Steve, you did buy the BR, right? I can't remember.

Father Bowdern

Steve Dunlap
    Participant

Aye, I did. :)  And Fear of God was also on the TVYNS DVD….I'd seen the documentary on that DVD, but it had been so long, I couldn't remember all that was discussed. 🙂

fatherbowdern
    Participant

Imagine the laughter from the audience if that scene was actually left in the film. That was the way in which Blatty wrote it … not the more silly bloody-variant spiderwalk.

Father Bowdern

Steve Dunlap
    Participant

I think it would've been more frightening if they were able to get her body to have completely arch forehead to heels the way it was in the novel.

That is a project I'm going to tackle with iClone.  I already did my own CG Exorcist trailer….now I'm gonna try to tackle some scenes as portrayed in the novel, the way Sofia is doing with The Sims. 🙂

fatherbowdern
    Participant

I'm afraid Linda Hager, the contortionist, wasn't even that limber! Wink Perhaps a Cirque du Soleil performer could do it and I've seen enough of their shows already to know it can be done with a human body.

Father Bowdern

Steve Dunlap
    Participant

I remember many years ago, as a kid, I used to watch the opening of ABC Sports (back in the early 70's…I've never been a sports fan at all…but the show did have some interesting opening shots in its title sequence) and one shot they'd shown was that of a gymnast who managed to bring her feet almost all the way down to her forehead….and she was showing every bit of pain in the process.    Yeouch!!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.