why do people hate the Version Youve Never Seen?

Viewing 11 posts - 46 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    TEDDY HEADSPIN
    Participant

No, I adore the crucifix scene, if that's the right word? Just feel that the Spiderwalk is a step too far before she mutilates herself.

I love both, but the original cut is my favourite. Don't understand how anybody could hate the extended version. The same movie, with a few inserts, some more welcome than others.

Oh, I forgot about all those bloody demon face superimpositions in the 2000 version. Now that was overkill. Especially before Regan grabs some doc dick. Linda's original expression was infinitely more malevolent.

Jason Stringer
    Keymaster

I wholeheartedly agree with Teddy Headspin. While it was fantastic to finally see the spiderwalk scene in TVYNS it absolutely tears the fabric of an otherwise perfect narration (for all the things he mentioned). The original theatrical cut remains my preferred version.

Corpse
    Participant

The stairs dialogue is most definitely the central core of the whole film, the way Merrin delivers it is so powerful and you sense his fatigue and that the pain goes far beyond the frame of this one scene. I cannot understand why it was left out of the original cut.

I think the spider walk is one hell of an effective scene, I get the double climax concept but I still believe it is not a good place, there's such a thing as overkill and the two dramatic pinnacles clash in black and white imo.

As for the little sparks of jump scare addition, I think one of two flashes of the Cap's face are tasteful, the one that gets me almost EVERY time is the one on the bedroom door, it literally made me jump two feet the first time I saw that version, I think it is the sudden sound that accompanies it haha. There is literally no meaning for it to appear as it is the statue's countenance, so it's very peculiar. I can do without the cooker top one, the darkness and ambiance itself it enough for me. Those flashing siren lights are still fresh in my mind each viewing.

I also prefer the ending scene with Kinderman and Dyer strolling along, just adds a full circle (a friendship has tentative beginnings blooming out of such darkness perhaps?) somehow and is poignant. There are elements of both that I enjoy, the relentless pacing of the original and the small tweaks in TVYNS.

Satanas
    Participant

I have no problem with the added extras such as subiminal demon faces & the enhanced sound but that's just my take on it. Some people do not like the added features & that's their take on it. It's like two people in an art gallery looking at a painting upon the wall. One thinks it's beautiful while the other thinks it's rubbish. Who's to say who's right or wrong. Everyone has his or her personal views.

howdythere
    Participant

The CGI'd demon faces were ridiculous. You can't put computer graphics from the year 2000 into a film shot in 1073. It looks ridiculous, and so much of it was unnecessary. It reminds me of George Lucas ruining the original Star Wars films with all that CGI nonsense.

granville1
    Participant

I agree, the faces were ridiculous, but there were other strong points that kept my interest, e.g., the “stair conversation” w/Merrin and Karras; Merrin's accepting Chris's offer of a brandy coffee; Karras in the language lab puzzling over the voice of the real Regan as opposed to the demon he has just encountered; Dyer telling Chris to keep Karras's St. Joseph medal … etc.

RatBoy
    Participant

I never saw the original version in theaters because I was too young. TVYNS is the first time I saw The Exorcist on the big screen so it had more of an impact than watching the original version on a rinky dink TV screen with rinky dink sound and those rinky dink cable boxes with all those buttons and sliders.

Satanas
    Participant

I remember seeing it for the first time. There was a surreal feeling in the theater that day & I will never forget that.

oceantracks
    Participant

I felt like it was way over the top and tried to appeal to the modern “over the top” audience. It just need any of that stuff, William F. called it right the first time. Lean, mean, simple is better (especially the ending!)….

karras13
    Participant

I thought the opticals in TVYNS only served to make it into a 'movie' whereas the original which used only physical effects was to me more real and believe me when I saw it in the cinema as a 17 year old back in 1974 it wasn't just a movie; it was an ordeal which affected me like nothing before or since.

forwearemany
    Participant

I think all versions are good, we are talking about the greatest Horror/supernatural thriller movie of all time, there is of course a couple of negatives, the overuse of superimposed imaging, and the alignment of the Spiderwalk and crucifix scene, too close together where either impact is nullified, the conversation between Merrin and Karras is essential, as rather than explaining the movie as has been said before, (hence it's omittance), it is a narrative in trying to qualify the events they are faced with, and makes them question their faith,

The ending with Kinderman and father Dyer walking away in friendship gives hope, that out of darkness comes new beginnings, and gives the film a more settling ending, rather than before, I believed evil had prevailed, two priests dead, a young girl still tormented, and leaves with the viewer suspended about what was the overall outcome.,

PS : just celebrated my Birthday, and I recieved a brilliant Pazuzu Statue as a gift.

Viewing 11 posts - 46 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.