Best Horror Movie Score/Soundtrack

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    DamienKarras
    Participant

Mine is definitely The Exorcist because Tubular Bells is a brilliant song. I remember watching the Halloween movies when I was younger and being creeped out by the music, it’s very eerie and made me uneasy (which I’m sure it was intended to do). Other than that I don’t pay much attention to the score in movies, unless of course they’re musicals. 😛

TheTunnel
    Participant

I don’t Damien…The first minute or two of “Tubular Bells” is used in The Exorcist only during the scene where Chris is walking home from the movie set on Halloween, then again during the final credits…At that length, the piece sounds great…But to actually sit through the ENTIRE piece that takes up an entire album side on Mike Oldfield’s original vinyl LP, which I own, I think it gets rather monotonous…Oldfield isn’t a film composer, and although I do agree with Friedkin that Lalo Shifrin’s score originally presented to him “didn’t fit” The Exorcist (although it was perfect for “The Amityville Horror”), I’m glad that they didn’t use the entire “Tubular” piece in Exorcist…It would have just bogged things down.

I majored in Film Scoring at Berklee College of Music in Boston, and although I’ve only scored some minor independent stuff, I still think I have a pretty good idea of how to optimally use (or not use) music to manipulate the emotional girth of a film.

As far as horror films go, I could probably ramble off half a million excellent scores…But most recently, I think my buddy Christopher Young’s score for “The Exorcism of Emily Rose” is one of the best I’ve ever heard…I hated the movie (basically a PG-13 court drama), and Chris knows that I’m rather jealous of his success (he went straight away to Los Angeles right after he got his credentials while I decided to move to the East Coast and live in the mountains, driving an hour to work everyday as a college music professor)…But, I would say his score for Emily Rose is the first thing to come off the top of my head as, at least, ONE of the best horror movie music scores of all time…

Again, Mike Oldfirld’s “Bells” is great for the first few minutes, but IMHO, begins to ware thin after a while…

Barry

jguthrie
    Participant

Morricone’s The Thing

kokumo
    Participant

John Carpenter's unforgettable theme to “Halloween”, “Godzilla's March” from the legendary Toho series (performed especialy well in “Invasion of the Astros”), the beautiful score used in “The Omen” & I'm fond of the reworked musical score for Bela Lugosi's “Dracula” & The music from “Candyman to name a few

Jagged
    Participant

Jaws. An outstanding suite of music.

fatherbowdern
    Participant

Carrie by Pino Donaggio or Psycho by Bernard Hermann. It's sort of toss up for me. (Yes, I agree that Pino copied a lot of Hermann's elements for strings, but Pino mapped out the film with music that keeps us involved from beginning to end.)

Father Bowdern

fatherbowdern
    Participant

Jagged said:

Jaws. An outstanding suite of music.

Jaws is also great … the music was the shark … the shark was the music! Brilliant to never see the “beast” yet being scared just hearing it through music.

Father Bowdern

Steve Dunlap
    Participant

Although I don't consider this to be a “horror” movie (It's definitely more of a love movie with horror themes), Wojchiek Kilar's score for the Francis Ford Copolla version of Bram Stoker's Dracula is a beautiful piece of work.

Jerry Goldsmith's score for ALIEN is also a winner. 🙂

dreamdemon
    Participant

theres been a few great ones,my favs are,the exorcist/halloween/jaws/phantasm/Cool

pazuzupossessed
    Participant

my favorite soundtrack, and The Exorcist to have a melodythatinspires fear you! well john carpenter halloween but I prefergreat soundtrack of Mike Oldfield’s Tubular Bells!

epicwin123
    Participant

The Exorcist has a wonderful soundtrack of course. Moments of complete silence and loud sound, really is a masterpiece! Christine has an interesting soundtrack too, it sounds very, chilling.

ReganMacNeilfan
    Participant

I have yet to own The Exorcist soundtrack. 🙁 Hopefully soon I will. 🙂 But for now I will say Christine.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.