40th anniversary – new character father lucas —

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    hah
    Participant

Any thoughts on the significance of father lucas who appears in karras' dream and warns him to stay away from the macneils? Another trick by the demon to derail karras' path to renewed faith and salvation? Also any impressions on the changes?

I think some of the changes were to make things clearer to the reader, which I didn't think needed to be spelled out. During the crucifix/head turning scene, in the old novel, Blatty didn't mention that it was Burke Dennings – you just knew it was because of the description of “foxlike-eyes” or something like that.  It was more chilling when you aren't quite sure and then, all of a sudden, it dawns on you what must have happened when Burke went up to visit Regan.

Petronius
    Participant

I thought the scene was chilling and it was apparent to me at least that this character was not who he said he was. He was disheveled, food stained etc.

The only thing that took me back was Karras finding the cigarette butt after he wakes up! I first thought…”oh, it was a dream” but then the butt….now I am not sure one way or the other.

I wonder if anyone has a list of the changes Blatty made to this anniversary addition? I can't find them anywhere.

Thanks

Ken
    Participant

I wonder if it is a last minute change to take a key character from “The Rite” film and insert it into the novel.There was a line in that film in which that Father Lucas asks, “What did you expect, spinning heads and pea soup?”.

fatherbowdern
    Participant

Hmmm … interesting thought. But, I don't think Blatty would even think about The Rite or any of its characters. I do love the line however.

Father B

Jagged
    Participant

I have to say this whole thing sounds like a sorry episode from the George Lucas school of writing.

I'm really not much of a fan of revisionism to classic works, however well intentioned. If the novel has stood as well as it has for 40 odd years why on earth mess with it other than for vanity?

Authors and Auteurs are very often their own worst enemies.

I'll reserve judgement until I read the thing but it will be with no small amount of trepidation.

Petronius
    Participant

Jagged said:

I have to say this whole thing sounds like a sorry episode from the George Lucas school of writing.

I'm really not much of a fan of revisionism to classic works, however well intentioned. If the novel has stood as well as it has for 40 odd years why on earth mess with it other than for vanity?

Authors and Auteurs are very often their own worst enemies.

I'll reserve judgement until I read the thing but it will be with no small amount of trepidation.

I honestly did not find any of the changes (which I can't find a list of….anyone?) to be a distraction or diversion from the original. The book “seemed” to flow better but that might be my bias, knowing there were changes to grammar, sentence structure etc.

fatherbowdern
    Participant

Most legendary writers never lived as long as our current legend, Blatty.

Perhaps if Poe re-read his work, The Raven, he too would make revisions? Yes. That's a question because, like Poe had done with much less success, Blatty makes his living on selling his works. Alas, The Exorcist, is indeed the greatest financial triumph thus far for Blatty …

Father B

cappy
    Participant

So long I haven't been here! After recieving the 40th anniversary copy, I knew that the first thing I'm gonna do after finishing it, would be to log in here and discuss it^_^.

Wow, Lucas's scene was intriguing. I'm still not quite sure if I like this addition, or if it adds anything vital to the emotional roller coaster of this novel.

It sure was creepy and took me by surprise. Lucas's character per se was written brilliantly in my opinion, and I couldn't understand wether it was the demon's intervention in Karras's dream (the way he talked reminded me of the demon), or was it actually Karras's subconsious, warning him and also accuse him for his lack of faith that drives him into madness. But maybe that's the whole point of the character- after all, the whole plot is revolving around Regan being either possessed by a demon or mentally ill, the point being it doesn't really matter ultimately.

Gotta say though,

“I'm the devil, you ass”? Lol, c'mon Bill, Pazuzu is too awesome to say that:D     

Tidy Rat
    Participant

I was thinking that it might’ve been a wish-fulfillment dream: Karras being ordered by a higher authority (via an intermediary who was a psychiatrist himself, no less) to end his personal involvement in the MacNeil matter, so that he could walk away from the whole thing in good conscience; the situation no longer being in his hands.    

kokumo
    Participant

I have't read the revised version of The Exorcist but I know many people who were glad to see expansions of The Stand & Salem's Lot by Stephen King and felt both works were even more satisfying for having been rereleased in that form. So long as it's not one of those tricky publishing deals where the estate of an author permits ghost written material to be penned under his/her name, I'm all for it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.