Dominion or ETB?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    Pagan
    Participant

I will have to say that Dominion is better because i think ETB is quite boring and stupid like you said.

Jason Stringer
    Keymaster

I agree, Dominion is the better of the two but they are both very lame sequels.

Justin
    Participant

I guess it would have been too hyped up for you, since you covered the film since the very beginning (and the set visit etc). What exactly is it that you didn’t like about it though?

Wazza
    Participant

Was meh about ETB and fell asleep during Dominion…so where does that leave me?

Make a damn sequel to Part III I say!

Rock On

Wazza

PS I bet the next annoucement we hear from Warner Bros. – JJ Abrahms to Direct The Exorcist 1.2 – The Remake that should Never Happen

Greg
    Participant

Dominion is a far better written film than ETB by far.

Testing to see if this image can be seen:
    http://www.dvdfever.co.uk/reviews/domov4e.jpg

St. Michael
    Participant

Both are very hard to watch and I love junk film too.

Tyler Durden
    Participant

I Dunno but i have seen ETB and that sucked some serious balls! so Dominion HAS to be better than that.

Jason Stringer
    Keymaster

It IS better… but it still an average film, unfortunately. Perceptions may be VERY different had we all seen Dominion first and Morgan Creek skipped the ETB fiasco. Not be be, sadly. As it stands ETB put a bad taste in all our mouths and there wasn’t much Dominion could do to recover from that.

Tyler Durden
    Participant

DAMN YOU ETB!….DAMN YOU!!

ManInKhakiExorcist
    Participant

How I would love to read Cap’s thoroughly articulated review of DOMINION.

Please, Cap. In time…? 😉

Justin
    Participant

“I know this sounds like I’m reading too far into this”

One of the great things about Dominion and the original film is that you find something new every time you watch them. I don’t think it is possible to read too far into something, because both films leave things open for you interpret as much as you want.

For me, the dream symbolizes Merrin’s head wrapped in guilt and he can’t get up or out of it – ’till during the exorcism he breaks out of it.

Greg
    Participant

Quote: Perceptions may be VERY different had we all seen Dominion first and Morgan Creek skipped the ETB fiasco. Not be be, sadly. As it stands ETB put a bad taste in all our mouths and there wasn’t much Dominion could do to recover from that.
    _________

Well, I would have to say the trick is then to just completely remove ETB from your mind. A lot of what Dominion has to offer all lies in the writing. There is a great classical, old-fashioned style of directing to Dominion. The editing style and the treatment of the script through Schrader’s direction is something that really helps Dominion along. It is an easy thing to forget while watching.

A lot of the great things about Dominion is that unlike Exorcist II and ETB is that it handles horror seriously and in a purely psychological manner as opposed to that epic good vs. evil sensibility, which does not work in connection to what made the original a masterpiece. Schrader said that it does not flow as a traditional horror film because it works off the reverse possession formula. Instead of someone getting sicker, it is the opposite. I think the more ecumenically scary moments of this film are dictated by the outside characters being driven insane as the film progresses. Something one of my friends noticed about the film is some of the surreal meanings found in Merrin’s dream like some of the Biblical-like messages like Merrin’s head in bandages: ‘one eye looking out as the other eye is taped up being forced to look in’ or the woman who appears to have her head away from the camera turns out to have her hair in front of her face meaning like a Janus figure of two faces portraying multiple sides. The choices the demon gives as a way to sway you (which ironically also causes you to revisit your pain) was also explored in a similar original concept in Star Trek V: The Final Frontier.

I know this sounds like I’m reading too far into this, but it does seem somewhat apparent on a universal level when you judge it via actions and images; reminiscent of Orson Welles stylized symbology. 🙂

AlienPubicHair
    Participant

They’re way too different. If you wanna watch a serious movie, go watch Dominion. If what you want is to laugh for a while, then get ETB (but only some parts are funny, the rest are just plain boring)

Oh, Dominion is the only movie…ETB is a joke.

granville1
    Participant

Dominion: more art, more heart, more resonance, more depth, more intellect, more literary value in general.

SLASHerMan
    Participant

I prefer Dominion, but I watch them both.
    Both have strengths and both have weaknesses. Overall Dominion is superior though.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 80 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.