crucifix mistake

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    demondan
    Participant

i dont know if this has been mentioned before , in the scene chris finds the crucifix under regans pillow , she then asks karl if he put it there which she denies , then she asks sharon which se denies , and as this is going on Lt kinderman arrives and chris goes to greet him she places the crucifix on nearby tabel, she then has the conversation with kinderman then he leaves , and then we here the noises coming from regans bedroom chris runs upstairs to the room to find regan masturbating with a crucifix , my question is did she have spare one or did karl or sharon or willie put another one under her pillow while chris was being questioned by Lt kinderman or was it a movie mistake ?

fatherbowdern
    Participant

The assumption is that Regan (while possessed) went downstairs to retrieve the crucifix. There are no duplicates. In fact, it is mystery as to who owned the crucifix … was it Karl’s, Willie’s, Sharon’s … or did Regan take a crucifix from Dalgren Chapel when she descecrated the statue of Mother Mary?

Father Bowdern

Sofia
    Participant

“or did Regan take a crucifix from Dalgren Chapel when she descecrated the statue of Mother Mary?”

Wow, FB… I’ve never thought of that.
    In the novel it was implied that Karl put the crucifix under her pillow, though.

fatherbowdern
    Participant

Hi Sof!

Laughs. 🙂 That was an off-the-cuff or “blink” thought about Regan “coming to from a Pazuzu coma” and then being terrified at where she was and what she’d done. Or perhaps the demon had intentions for the crucifix as witnessed during the masturbation scene.

I always thought Karl placed the crucifix under Regan’s pillow in the film because he doesn’t reply straight away. Instead he asks Chris, “She is going to be well?” When Chris asks him again, he replies, “No. It wasn’t me. I didn’t.”

If not, it’s one of those nuns when we see in the white habits during Chris’ walk home after filming Crash Course. 😉

Father Bowdern

fatherbowdern
    Participant

Sof,

Tying the two posts together about Elvira here. It does make more sense that Karl put it under Regan’s pillow. Is there anything to suggest that it may have come from Elvira’s funeral (see above)?

Father Bowdern

Sofia
    Participant

Was Elvira’s funeral simulated? How could Karl have kept it a secret from his wife?

He was a religious man, FB. His bedroom was never described in the novel but it was described in the first draft screenplay: it had all these religious statues and a Sacred Heart painting on the wall. In the novel, we find out that he’s religious while the exorcism is being perfomed; he blessed himself and said,’God in Heaven’.

fatherbowdern
    Participant

Sof,

No to the first paragraph. Clarified (hopefully because I’m trying two threads together): Being Swiss (Karl and Willie), I was assuming their religion to be Catholic only based on the film and what I think I knew back then in 1973 (largely Catholic). It is often “religious protocol” for the priest to take a crucifix to the actual gravesite, place it on the deceased’s closed coffin as he prays, and then ultimately hands that crucifix to the closest of blood kin; in this case, it would be Willie or Karl. Do you see what I mean? It may be too confusing, but Karl is nonetheless the one who placed the crucifix under Regan’s pillow.

From the novel stance, you’ve answered the questions and you’ve also tidied it up from the film’s perspective (especially the Sacred Heart comment). Again, I wish we had more insights into the subplots, but I’m afraid WB would have gone ballistic back then (although both Gone with the Wind and Titanic ran well over three hours).

Father Bowdern

ReganMacNeilfan
    Participant

I am gonna have to watch this more closely now when the movie comes. Never noticed any of that. thanks. 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.