Can’t believe I never noticed this before

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Justin
    Participant

What I assume is Karl lying unconscious beside Regan’s bed…

http://i62.tinypic.com/6pp1y1.png

demondan
    Participant

very interesting,i have zoomed in and i cant make out what it is ,but if it is karl that would explain how she got the crucifix ,

Jagged
    Participant

Certainly does look like it. Wow. For those that can’t make it out, that’s the soul of his left shoe with has hand visible behind.
    http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f9/Ian_Foxon/exo1_zpsc17fae6c.jpg

demondan
    Participant

thats great bit of detective work lt kindermen would be proud.was karl attacked in the novel ?

GhettoExorcist
    Participant

I’ve never noticed this either. It’d be really interesting if it was Karl lying on the floor, which would solve the whole “how did Regan get the crucifix” debate. Though, my guess is that it’s a special fx person who accidentally got into the shot….

granville1
    Participant

Wow, from what little is on view, it is indeed highly suggestive of Karl. We are so used to seeing the crucifix abuse scene as a duel limited to two contestants, Regan-demon and Chris … maybe it was originally shot with Karl but was dropped because Friedkin thought the narrow “duel” focus was more cinematically effective. Also, when people rush the room to help, just before the demon blocks the bedroom door with the large dresser, iirc, it’s only Chris and Sharon shown rushing down the hall to Regan’s door …. no Karl! Maybe that’s because it’s really him on the floor. Worth pondering, for sure.

Justin
    Participant

@GhettoExorcist said:

I’ve never noticed this either. It’d be really interesting if it was Karl lying on the floor, which would solve the whole “how did Regan get the crucifix” debate. Though, my guess is that it’s a special fx person who accidentally got into the shot….

I doubt it’s an FX guy dressed in a suit (you can even see the white sleeves of the shirt poking out). Plus, in RAISING HELL all the crew is behind the camera pulling the rigs. There isn’t really any need for an FX guy to be there. However, I cannot see any sign of Karl in the behind the scenes footage either.

demondan
    Participant

yes i think that is him ,maybe there planning using another shot of him,also that really does explain how reagan got the crucifix ,because in the scene before kinderman came to interview chris she was questioning karl and willie about the crucifix,maybe it was a pre _ cursor of the next scene,if you now what i mean.

GhettoExorcist
    Participant

The more I think about it, the more I think you are right Justin. I also think Demondan is probably right too. My guess is there was probably something shot that may have been taken out of the film early on in the editing process. Perhaps Chris seeing Karl on the floor may have been too confusing or possibly may have led the audience to believe that Karl was the one who suggested the act in the first place? I’m glad they took it out but it is always cool to see things like this that have been missed for 40+ years!!! Great eye!!

Ken
    Participant

That is an incredible find.I was always searching for some evidence of Karl lying unconscious on the floor, like the book described.HOW did you notice this?

Ken
    Participant

Yes, Karl was lying on the floor when Chris threw the door open in the novel.He apparently had gotten attacked when he put the crucifix back under Regan’s pillow.
    For me, the other surprise was that during the crucifix scene, I always thought that when Regan/demon was mutilating herself, her head was on the pillow.I had no idea that she seemed to actually be sitting at the side of the bed in a reclined position.When Chris went to grab the crucifix, it always looked to me like Regan was standing up on her bed, but was actually kneeling at the foot of the bed.
    This movie is now about 41, or 42 years old at this point, and yet things like this are all new to me!

Don
    Participant

Certainly does look like it. Wow. For those that can’t make it out, that’s the soul of his left shoe with has hand visible behind.

No, it’s his sole, not soul!

Talk about a Freudian slip …

😉

Jagged
    Participant

Doh!

Don
    Participant

That’s okay. Sadly, I don’t think that very many people not9iced. 🙁

RJH McDowell
    Participant

I know this thread is years old, but just a thought: I don’t think it’s Carl. It might be the doctor that she knocks unconscious.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.