Jason Stringer

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 526 through 540 (of 946 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Exorcist Remake PROS and CONS discussion #19662
    Jason Stringer
    Keymaster

    PRO

    I somewhat agree with RatBoy’s idea above. If it were a completely new film, taking complete inspiration from the novel as apposed to just remaking Friedkin’s film, it MIGHT be half decent.

    The trick would be to NOT call it ‘The Exorcist’.

    And, no, ‘The Possession of Regan MacNeil’ doesn’t work, either.

    in reply to: Film or book? #19663
    Jason Stringer
    Keymaster

    I have to say the film. While the book remains one of the best horror texts I have ever read, the film has such depth and quality that I really do regard it as one of the greatest films of all time. If studied correctly, anyone can learn a lot from Friedkin’s film, especially budding filmmakers like myself. This site exists because of that film.

    Definitely the film for me.

    in reply to: Burke Dennings #19656
    Jason Stringer
    Keymaster

    I’ve always had the opinion that while there are many great things about Blatty’s book that we now have an interest in seeing as footage, there is no doubt Friedkin’s original cut of the film did what it needed to do in terms of deleting the stuff not needed for screen and keeping the film very on-track.

    I would like to see more of Karras investingating the possession, which also goes into much more detail in the book.

    in reply to: Stage Play #19633
    Jason Stringer
    Keymaster

    The Exorcist was never on Broadway. Though Linda Blair can tap…

    in reply to: Exorcist Remake PROS and CONS discussion #19634
    Jason Stringer
    Keymaster

    I actually think this would make it less terrifying and more ‘dumb-fuck’ proof, which is what most horror films are subject to these days for the average movie-goer. The filmmakers do all the thinking for you. It’s boring.

    At least The Exorcist had/has us thinking when we view it.

    Watching Regan hear the noises and slowly becoming possessed would be “oohhhh I think something freaky is going to happen…. BOOM! It did!! Wow, that looked awesome! Now what? Credits? OK, thanks for the popcorn…”

    *sigh*

    in reply to: EVIL AGAINST EVIL by Michael Garrett (2008 AD) #19635
    Jason Stringer
    Keymaster

    Very nice, Mikey, I wish you all the best with this project! Film school students will study it one day, with valuable lessons contained, I’m sure.

    in reply to: Exorcist Remake PROS and CONS discussion #19610
    Jason Stringer
    Keymaster

    CON

    Only a garbage director could be handed this project, because any director with respect for the original would quickly realize the original cannot be topped or even equaled today. You just simply cannot get the same effect from todays desensitized audiences. So, any director who signs on thinking they can do better is likely both of two things:

    1 – An idiot, and
    2 – Clearly in it for the dollars and the dollars only.

    But aren’t they all?

    in reply to: Not a Remake! #19611
    Jason Stringer
    Keymaster

    Unfortunately, Buda, I’m a film buff at heart and wouldn’t even imagine venturing too far from that branch.

    in reply to: Exorcist Remake PROS and CONS discussion #19582
    Jason Stringer
    Keymaster

    CON

    The original film is a masterpiece and still works today, a remake is not necessary.

    in reply to: Exorcist Remake PROS and CONS discussion #19583
    Jason Stringer
    Keymaster

    PRO

    There are directors working today who could still do a great job on an Exorcist ‘revisioning’. I know I personally would be extremely excited if David Fincher or Paul Thomas Anderson were signed on.

    in reply to: Exorcist Remake PROS and CONS discussion #19587
    Jason Stringer
    Keymaster

    CONS:

    iamnoone, the original will lose its effect if a viewer sees it after watching the remake. They will know what happens to Regan and how the whole plot develops, thus removing the thrill of watching it for the first time. It would make it a very pointless exercise.

    How many people watched the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake, or Amityville Horror remake, and then rushed out to watch the original because they were suddenly huge fans? Not many.

    How easy is it to rent the ORIGINAL TCM? You have to wade through 15 copies of the remake to find it in any video store I’ve been in.

    Picking up the book, I agree with – but to be honest, its the film I care about and love most.

    in reply to: The E! True Hollywood Story: Curse of the Exorcist #19549
    Jason Stringer
    Keymaster

    kimfrench, you will be able to watch the entire thing right here by the weekend.

    in reply to: The Exorcist Blsphemes the HOLY GHOST of GOD #19550
    Jason Stringer
    Keymaster

    I am Lutheran and have been all my life. I am part of a very religious family. I am the webmaster of this website and I can promise you I am in now way doomed to Hell.

    I questioned my faith and belief until I saw this film. It brought me closer to my religion. How dare you pass judgment at me and the visitors here on MY OWN WEBSITE!

    Shame.

    Please, take a moment to consider the positives that result from this film. It is NOT EVIL. It is a story of supreme Faith and the power of good. Research a little – or even WATCH THE FILM – before pointing a guilt-finger for the sake of your self-righteousness.

    in reply to: Rare rehearsal pic with Eileen Dietz #19524
    Jason Stringer
    Keymaster

    She would have been cold in that frozen room, I guess. I would have rehearsed in socks, too!

    in reply to: BURKE’S DEATH SCENE!!! #19525
    Jason Stringer
    Keymaster

    I agree, Ghetto.

Viewing 15 posts - 526 through 540 (of 946 total)