Some people on imdb keep thinking that Burke was molesting Regan!

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    granville1
    Participant

Yeah, probably some viewers thought that “Dennings” was trying to suggest to Chris that Rags had done some kind of nasty, deliberate sexual stuff, whereas the plain meaning is that the demon is confirming what Chris just heard from Kinderman – “Regan/your c.nting daughter murdered me, just like you are seeing, by turning my head completely around, facing backwards”…

epicwin123
    Participant

I never thought Dennings did anything to Regan. And from the first time I thought that the line he says at the end of the masturbation scence was refering to his death. Gosh, people are sick.

fatherbowdern
    Participant

granville1 said:

Yeah, probably some viewers thought that “Dennings” was trying to suggest to Chris that Rags had done some kind of nasty, deliberate sexual stuff, whereas the plain meaning is that the demon is confirming what Chris just heard from Kinderman – “Regan/your c.nting daughter murdered me, just like you are seeing, by turning my head completely around, facing backwards”…

That's my own thoughts, too. It is the tie and the revelation that ultimately breaks Chris's denial of the spiritual/supernatural that doctors posed to her in the conference room about possession. Chris rejected the possibility and pulled Regan out of the Barringer Clinic. While this could be related to Chris's aetheism, however, I think most would do the same regardless of religious beliefs. It was insane … yet it was true … especially when Burke's voice eminated from Regan. (And it is yet another clever part of Blatty's novel.)

Father Bowdern

granville1
    Participant

Yeah, I think Blatty's very clever cleverness is what brings me back to the novel time and time again.  It's a very “smart” work, as well as being psychologically and theologically profound.  As you say, too bad some folks just don't appreciate it on all different levels 🙂

granville1
    Participant

epicwin123 said:

I never thought Dennings did anything to Regan. And from the first time I thought that the line he says at the end of the masturbation scence was refering to his death. Gosh, people are sick.

Yes, they are sick and very careless with the material, and very taken with their own “cleverness”. Blatty is a skilled enough writer to communicate that Burke is a molester – in subtle or in obvious ways. But he doesn't even come close. By the time Burke dies, we even have some cautious sympathy for him, which we surely would not, if Blatty really wanted us to think of him as Regan's abuser (and thus stealing some thunder from the real abuser, the demon).

ydimmiy
    Participant

It was never implied in the novel that he molested her! On the last chapter Regan/demon states that Burke went into her room because he heard noises and moans coming from it! He went up and Regan took him by the throat, screaming that he was diddling her mother and that he caused the divorce.

Why do people want to believe that Burke was sexually abusing her??

Because of the victim mentality and paranoia present today..people see a child molester where one doesn’t exist.

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.