Karl – Attic Scene – HELP ME?!?!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Ryan
    Participant

I always thought it was “no rats”.

Sofia
    Participant

He says the same line from the novel: “There is nothing.” And then, “Very sorry. But you see? No rats.”

Jason Stringer
    Keymaster

I always heard “Very sorry. But you see? No rats.”

fatherbowdern
    Participant

“There is nothing,” makes sense because lunuso knows the book like the back of his/her hand! THANKS! I’ll listen more carefully next time. (You’d think Blatty could have told me that!). 😉

SLAM234
    Participant

No, I think he means just before he says “No rats”, when Karl first appears at the doorway, the instant before her candle flames up. Its a good question, I could never figure it out either. I think its in another language, probably Swiss since that’s what Karl’s origin was.
    That scene wasn’t in the book> Personally I always thought it was kind of a cheap scare tactic, really incidental to the story.

Justin
    Participant

From the novel:

Chris turned out the light and went down the hall. She climbed the narrow, carpeted stairs that led to the attic. She opened the door and felt for the light switch; found it; flicked it, stooping as she entered.

She glanced around. Cartons of clippings and correspondence on the pinewood floor. Nothing else, except the traps. Six of them. Baited. The room was spotless. Even the air smelled clean and cool. The attic was unheated. No pipe. No radiator. No little holes in the roof.

“There is nothing.”

Chris jumped from her skin. “0h, good Jesus!” she gasped, turning quickly with her hand to a fluttering heart. “Jesus Christ, Karl, don’t do that!”

He was standing on the steps.

“Very sorry. But you see? It is clean.”

“Yeah, it’s clean. Thanks a lot.”

“Maybe cat better.”

“What?”

“To catch rats.”

SLAM234
    Participant

Wow, thanks Justin it was in there, you found it! In the film it is garbled, hard to understand though.

SLAM234
    Participant

Wow, thanks Justin it was in there, you found it! In the film it is garbled, hard to understand though.

SLAM234
    Participant

Witch of Endor
    Participant

Funny, I don’t remember having trouble comprehending the dialogue. Oh well.

Sofia
    Participant

Ah, so are you motivated to read it now, Ju? 🙂

Also, in my portuguese subtitles Karl says, “Não há nada” which means, “There’s nothing.”

fatherbowdern
    Participant

Hi All,

Attic Scene: For years and years, I have tried to pick up the words of what Karl says to Chris right after the candle in her hand “explodes.” If you watch the film in a subtitle mode, it’s not there either so I’m guessing the technicians working on the DVD couldn’t pick the words up. I have a copy of the working script with cross outs, scene excerpts, character title changes, reworking of the script … Karl’s words – NADA! So many folks have guessed at this that’s it not funny. Everything from: “No rats!” to “Clean traps” to (my favorite!) “Grape Nuts!” I was DamienKarras on the re-release of the TVYNS WB official site and no one could answer me and that included Blatty who responded!!! It’s such a small thing that I’m positive he just plain forgot.

Does anyone know the words?

Father Bowdern

fatherbowdern
    Participant

Could it be possible that Slam234’s idea that Karl is speaking in Swiss??? I’m sure that the direct translation from the novel that Justin provided is right, but it definitely changed in the movie … “Oh, Jesus,” missing; “I’m very sorry, madame, but you see, no rats,” changed from the novel. So, maybe Karl is speaking in Swiss although it may not make sense when speaking to Chris unless he had been standing on the attic stairs and the candle burst scared him too. Also, it may be plausible because Friedkin never added subtitles to the Latin conversation between the demon and Karras in the film so audiences could understand the exchange of words.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.